Welcoming Dr. Geoffrey Sher!
LA IVF welcomes internationally renowned infertility specialist and the founder of the first private IVF clinic in the United States, Dr. Geoffrey Sher, as a consultant. Dr. Sher will be working closely with Dr. Aykut Bayrak, the founder and medical director of LA IVF clinics, and be available for Skype consultations for both his national and international patients. Dr. Sher will be providing hands-on IVF treatment every three months exclusively at LA IVF located in West Los Angeles. Dr. Bayrak will be available for those patients who may need IVF or any other fertility treatments when Dr. Sher is not in Los Angeles.
Dr. Geoffrey Sher, the founder of the Sher Institutes for Reproductive Medicine, is a pioneer in the field of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) and has been influential in the births of more than 18,000 IVF babies. For over 30 years, he has been a global advocate for women’s reproductive health concerns while innovating methods and unique new treatments.
Geoffrey Sher, MD
Geoffrey Sher MD, established the Northern Nevada Fertility Centers (1984), the 4th IVF program and the 1st private (non-university based) IVF program in the United States of America. In 1999 he founded the Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine (SIRM). In 2019 Dr. Sher established Sher Fertility Solutions –SFS (www.sherfertilitysolutions.com), through which he offers online, comprehensive Skype/Facetime consultations to patients from>40 countries, providing ongoing advice to them (and often to their treating physicians), on complex reproductive issues.
Dr. Sher is a long considered a pioneer in the field of reproductive medicine and has been influential in assisting more than 18,000 women to have babies following IVF treatment. He received his medical training in South Africa and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and is sub-specialty boarded in Maternal and Fetal Medicine. Dr. Sher was also an Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Nevada School Of Medicine.
An internationally renowned expert in the field of IVF and Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), Dr. Sher has over the past 36 years, pioneered numerous medical breakthroughs and in the process has helped fashion the entire field of ART:
- 1983: First to advocate the exclusive use of gonadotropins to stimulate the ovaries in ART.
- 1984: Established the 4th IVF program and the 1st private (non-university based) IVF program in the United States of America.
- 1984: Introduced intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- 1989: First to identify and publish on the importance of assessing the uterine lining by ultrasound as an index of IVF outcome.
- 1993: Introduced “prolonged Coasting”, a treatment method, that eliminates the life-endangering risks associated with severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).
- 1995: Reported on a link between subtle problems affecting the immune system and outcome with IVF and described unique treatments that markedly improve IVF success rates.
- 1997: Introduced vaginal Sildenafil (Viagra) for the treatment of an inadequate uterine lining with IVF.
- 2000: Introduced Sclerotherapy, a simple method by which to treat ovarian endometriomas (a common manifestation of advanced endometriosis).
- 2002: Introduced the selective use of intravenous gamma globulin IVIG) to down-regulate activated uterine natural killer cells (Nka) and reverse immunologic implantation dysfunction, a relatively common cause of “unexplained” IVF failure and recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL)
- 2003: Introduced the embryo Marker Expression Test (EMET) which assesses sHLA-G in the media surrounding early embryos in culture, as a measure of their subsequent ability to propagate viable pregnancies..
- 2005: Introduced preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) using comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) for full embryo karyotyping to select those embryos that are the most likely to propagate viable pregnancies through IVF.
- 2007: Introduced full karyotyping of human oocytes for cryobanking, to better select those that are most likely upon thawing and fertilization to propagate viable pregnancies.
- 2012; Introduced intraoperative transvaginal-intraperitoneal infusion of bupivacaine infusion, to lower postoperative pain following IVF/egg retrieval
- 2016: Introduced intraoperative transmyometrial hysterosonography during egg retrieval, to evaluate the integrity of the uterine cavity
Dr. Sher has more than 300 scientific papers and abstracts to his credit. He has authored several consumer books including: Your Pregnancy; Recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained IVF failure: The Immunologic Link & In Vitro Fertilization: The A.R.T of Making Babies which for more than a decade has (worldwide) been a widely-read consumer book on assisted reproductive medicine.
Geoffrey Sher MD’s vast expertise in the field of Assisted Reproduction, coupled with his international reputation as being an outspoken and devout consumer advocate has, and continues to make him the focus of considerable academic and media attention.